Reading Time: 2 minutes
Regression happens when we are reading. To explain it simply it means when we are re-reading the text. I am sure almost everyone has gone through regression. It reduces both our reading speed and efficiency.
Imagine if it happens to you when you are giving a test and you get stuck with that text/para/lines. Then what will you do? Often what I have observed is that people when reading either
- Bring text closer to the eyes.
Both of the methods prove to be inadequate.
Being a voracious reader. I am a daily newsreader. I have extensively read art, literature, nonfiction, meteorology, law, Macro Economics, and politics.
Problem is trying to hard or focusing more through facial expression will not help.
There are many reasons for regression
|Stress when reading
|Not much of Reader
One of the basic reasons for you regressing is either the topic which you are reading seems tougher to comprehend or you are not much of a reader.
So, you must read as much as you can fighting the regression as it comes along. Progressively, you will tend to regress less than you used to. It is a fact.
Some hacks that I use whenever regression happens,
- If you are reading for a long time and you start to regress/reading the same lines again, then you should probably take a short break, probably a tea break.
- Regression may happen when your text is very closely written and is comprehensive. A textbook with long paragraphs and shorter font should be avoided. Since reading requires eye movement closely placed text and shorter font will make it likely that you will regress.
- Usually what I have noticed is that eyes tend to vacillate between some lines or a para, re-reading it. This is costly when you are giving an exam. If you notice yourself stuck in regressing, Jump to the next most suitable lines, which your mind is able to comprehend easiest. Skip those lines if required and come back to them after reading whole text/chapter.
- Most important, consciously make an effort to understand whatever you are reading. Let it be slow at first (if it is). Reading is a skill. Any skill takes time to develop, you have to put in practice into it.
Regression is not necessarily a bad thing. It might be indicating something, for example, distraction, lack of concentration, boringness with respect to text which you are reading, and disturbances.
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Reading is a skill. Hence, some people get a better understanding by gliding through text once whereas others might have to read twice, thrice and still cannot comprehend fully.
Reading faster helps in reducing the time and mental effort. Ever wished if you could get more out of text and could read books faster. This can help you read more books enhance your knowledge and reflect your capability.
How to Read 2x Faster
Reading has two primary components
The language is an important component, without saying the more the command over language the more you will fly through text.
Comprehensibility is your ability to understand what you are reading with ease. The more the ease the better your ability.
Ways you can use to swim through text
- If you are a beginner or are struggling with reading in general, I suggest building base use a pen/pencil to read through the text. Your pen/pencil follows your eyes through the text.
- Understand first what you desire to derive from book/topic/text/article you are reading. More often than not, we read through first to the last word. Depending upon your demand you set the tone of your reading.
- Use skimming, skimming is done to get a general view of the text/book/article. Here you glance through the topic to get an overall view. Example, if I am in a hurry to read this article then instead of reading from top to bottom First would read the topic and some lines of introduction then would find anything highlighted or slant written lines or boldly written line, read through them and points mentioned and leaving other things.
- Use Scanning, when you need to understand a subtopic or concept/idea from a book. When you know what you want from the text it is better to directly to the main crux without dallying with the book. Example, I know what is want through this article is to learn techniques, hence, I scan through the text to find “Ways you can use to swim through text”, this is where I shall focus more than other areas of articles.
- If you know about the topic then you can skip parts which you are aware off to speed read it. I do that most of the time. Many of the details are that I find I know or stats I skip to the areas which require more concentration.
- Become a voracious reader, if not then at least read whenever you find an opportunity. This will make your reading ability stronger. Some years back it took me 2 hours to read a Newspaper, Now I can read it easily under 40 minutes with more accuracy.
Reading requires an investment of time and effort. You have to work through it. There is no doubt that the more you read, the faster you will get at reading provided you are comprehending what you are reading simultaneously.