Reading is a skill. Hence, some people get a better understanding by gliding through text once whereas others might have to read twice, thrice and still cannot comprehend fully.
Reading faster helps in reducing the time and mental effort. Ever wished if you could get more out of text and could read books faster. This can help you read more books enhance your knowledge and reflect your capability.
How to Read 2x Faster
Reading has two primary components
The language is an important component, without saying the more the command over language the more you will fly through text.
Comprehensibility is your ability to understand what you are reading with ease. The more the ease the better your ability.
Ways you can use to swim through text
- If you are a beginner or are struggling with reading in general, I suggest building base use a pen/pencil to read through the text. Your pen/pencil follows your eyes through the text.
- Understand first what you desire to derive from book/topic/text/article you are reading. More often than not, we read through first to the last word. Depending upon your demand you set the tone of your reading.
- Use skimming, skimming is done to get a general view of the text/book/article. Here you glance through the topic to get an overall view. Example, if I am in a hurry to read this article then instead of reading from top to bottom First would read the topic and some lines of introduction then would find anything highlighted or slant written lines or boldly written line, read through them and points mentioned and leaving other things.
- Use Scanning, when you need to understand a subtopic or concept/idea from a book. When you know what you want from the text it is better to directly to the main crux without dallying with the book. Example, I know what is want through this article is to learn techniques, hence, I scan through the text to find “Ways you can use to swim through text”, this is where I shall focus more than other areas of articles.
- If you know about the topic then you can skip parts which you are aware off to speed read it. I do that most of the time. Many of the details are that I find I know or stats I skip to the areas which require more concentration.
- Become a voracious reader, if not then at least read whenever you find an opportunity. This will make your reading ability stronger. Some years back it took me 2 hours to read a Newspaper, Now I can read it easily under 40 minutes with more accuracy.
Reading requires an investment of time and effort. You have to work through it. There is no doubt that the more you read, the faster you will get at reading provided you are comprehending what you are reading simultaneously.